Monday, April 4, 2011

XC NPS 2011

BOOOMM !! The XC NPS 2011 has begun..targets have been set, lines have been drawn around rivals, new bikes rolled out, old bikes polished. New riders appearing and has beens rebooted, lured back by plastic trophies and scalps and that final triumphant fist at the sky that only winning can spark.
Round 1 was in the fantastic arena of Bellurgan Park in Dundalk , Co Louth where Tony Kelly and his crew of Cuchulainn Clones have been busy  doozering away over the Winter shaping and planting hardcore.
Only an hour from Dublin and possibly the same from Belfast but as they still use miles , i've no idea !!
The Cooley Peninsula has always been a MTBers paradise , ok the Sheep conquered it before the mcCabes did, some people say they only took up MTBing so they could catch randy ewes when the mood was upon them but who cares they gave us a fantastic place to ride our tin donkeys !!
If you want to know more about Bellurgan Park then here you go..
So after some politicing and hair pulling and toys been thrown from the old Prams..The Offroad Commission gave its blessing to the new non age Category Categories.
Now they all work very well except when this lad turns up on his going to the shops bike and ruins it on all the young lads..

Still..the Sun came out and despite the online registration/payment fascism , the sign on was a bit all over the place but it didn't dampen peoples enthusiasm for the racing.
Loads of miscellaneous looking individuals lined up for the cat 4 race. The Cat 4 has replaced the Sports race but people are still racing for an hour sporting a Camelback and winter spins gear !! Holy Lucifer how some of them don't pass out from dehydration is beyond me !!
Look at what the senior 1s and 2s are wearing, learn from the experienced !! Its racing, not a picnic !
Look at this yoke..he thinks hes heading out to Ulan Bator in search of Genghis Khans tomb or something..if you look closely i'm sure he has a whip and a telescop tucked into his belt!

anyway..we all have to start somewhere , though your man above started many years ago as a lad, won a few races..swore to me he was going to be world Champ. Discovered Girls, Rock and Roll and Alchohol and away he went !!
Racing always brings out the best in Mountainbikers...some of the good ones are very humble down to Earth people , easy at giving advice to less experienced riders and always generous with tips .

Heres Niall Davis explaining to Aidan mcDonald his Golden Rule
" If you're not first..you're last !"
Aidan on the other hand is admiring Nialls fine head of hair and feeling just a little foolish in his really old Cuchulainn Jersey !
So its nearly time for the off, the gels have been swallowed and the little prerace rituals observed, the Portaloos have been destroyed and everybodys high as a kite with the jitters !!
Or at least thats how I always feel !!!



and off they went..

Now XC racing is not really fun but the buzz afterwards if you do well is unbelievable. Do badly and your ego feels lacerated bruised and kicked in the stones..but its only a bike race and theirs always the next one.
 I've a very scientific approach to racing and over the series I will be evaluating a few riders and using my wealth of knowledge and experience to help you understand what is really good about XC racing.
Ben Merchant of IMBRC and www.spoke.ie was apparently riding some fancy 29'er ( whatever that is ) and I hear its really great..


Bob Seymour, however made his feelings obvious to me when I told him somebody was using a 29'er in the race..
" Get away from me Byrner with your wild tales, them things are for postmen !!"
so there you go,,in two weeks we'll have a look at Richie Closes new KTM , apparently and it could be just another rumour, it only has 2 chainrings on the front ..I'll believe that when I see it..
It was our girl Carolines very first race..and she won it very nicely indeed..I hear she has some lad as her personal Coach , well done Caroline..
" How far behind am i ? " she says to me and Shona yesterday !!
so there you are now..XC NPS 1 done and dusted, the gloves are on, the new bikes have been unveiled and the stats have begun..see you all at Fermoy in two weeks..

and heres what happens when somebody does something I don't like !! Its usually the press
/ papparrazzi that gets beaten up ..not this bastard !!

2 comments:

  1. F*^k you Richie Byrne and the horse you rode in on...... I had my lunch in that camelbak. I didnt get time to eat it so after the race i enjoyed it in my 2 man seat with hoppo on the shale downhill. Oh by the way 'why do people look at you strange when you cheer them on during a race???? Do they not like the encouragement?' tanx for cheering(slagging) me during my race...One day i will return to my glory and become World Champion ;) fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Richie, I'm off up the mountains....now where did I leave me Wellies !!!

    ReplyDelete